I swear, sometimes I think, we are living in a continual Ground Hog Day! Many days I wake up and do not know what day of the week it is. Wash ‘n Rinse. Another day, the same old fucking bullshit! I have always loved Sundays – which after checking my phone – I realized today is the Lord’s Day. It was always my day to ride, soak up the beauty of nature and meditate on all the blessings in my life. But when every single day seems the same, Sundays feel like every other day of the week.
2020 is not really a distant memory. Hell, it was less than three weeks ago. I had hoped 2021 would usher in a different feeling, but so far – not so much. While Tennessee has not suffered the punitive lock downs many of you have had to endure, life is still different than it was in early 2020. Yes, restaurants are open, small businesses are still in business but people seem much different than they did a year ago. Perhaps it is the new normal. If it is, it makes me long for simpler times.
You may wonder what constitutes simpler times for the ever stubbly Grey Beard Biker. Well let me tell you a few things which I miss:
- Getting up on a Saturday morning and riding over to my biker brother’s house for a group ride of eight or ten bikes
- Packing up for a business trip to present the software solution my company makes
- Riding to a biker rally like Laconia or Sturgis
- Not having to have a mask packed in the bike so I can go into a gas station after filling up (for what it’s worth I am a rebel and typically ignore mask mandates – and if they insist I usually don’t go in – unless it is a matter of an urgent bio break)
- Having a whole day go by when I do not feel like I need to take an afternoon nap (while I am not opposed to a siesta I have rarely felt the urge to nap during the afternoon)
Don’t get me wrong, I am blessed beyond measure. I still have a roof over my head. I do not have to worry about where my next meal is going to come from. I have my boy toys. I have a cat which digs the hell out of me (damn Motor actually has a bromance on me). I have an arsenal with plenty of ammo rolled. And God has Blessed me with the most beautiful, loving gal in the world – my very own Tarheel Racy Sicilian.
This morning I just want to teleport into a simpler time with my gal! Who is with me?
Make sure you follow us both on Gab and MeWe:
Grey Beard Biker
We both hope to see all y’all when we get to that simpler time. Like when we were kids and used clothes line pins to hold playing cards in the front spokes of our Schwinn Sting-Rays sporting a sissy bar and a shifter on the frame! You will spot Racy Sicilian and me on the big ole Grey Ghost!